What’s the best way to fuel and prepare your body for a game of footy?
Day before a game
The best way is to start 24 hours before the game. The day before, you need to increase your carbs (pasta, bread, rice) and make sure you are well hydrated. Our app has meal examples for the day before the game.
On game day, it’s important to eat carbs that easy to digest, that you have previously eaten. Some pre game meals include
- Wrap or sandwich with chicken and salad
- Bowl of muesli with yoghurt and berries
- Pasta with beef mince in tomato-based sauce
- Pumpkin soup served with bread rolls
- Chicken stir-fry with rice or quinoa
- Yoghurt with fruit salad
- Banana and a handful of almonds
- Peanut butter on rice cakes
- Toast with vegemite
- Fruit smoothie
After matches, some players often don’t feel like eating very much due to the how tough the game is on your body, but eating easy to eat carbs and protein containing foods after a match is important! Fluids with carbohydrate and protein can be a great option in the early stages after a game when your appetite is poor.
Some recovery food suggestions include:
- Chicken, avocado and salad sandwich
- Dairy-based fruit smoothie or flavoured milk
- Sushi with salmon or tuna fillings
- Burritos with beef, cheese, avocado and salad
All images courtesy of AFL Media
Refrenced: Sports Dietitan Australia Website